Click photo to watch IB Visual Arts Video

Click photo to watch IB Visual Arts Video
Paola Kossakowska. Ghosts II (Mixed media (charcoal, chalk, acrylic paint) on paper. 84.1 x 118.9 cm)

Tuesday 17 June 2014

The Well and the revolver

Today I stumbled upon our Headmaster, Mr. David Smith, and asked him about the rumours I had heard concerning a gun being found inside the well that lives in the Art Department. He asked me to wait in the corridor for a minute and came back from his office with this:


Its been with him in the office for over a decade serving as a decorative curiosity, I hope!
 It was found a long time ago inside the well and it is a very damaged revolver, possibly from the late 1800's. Do any of our more senior colleagues know anything about this?

The well


7 comments:

  1. I used it for treasure hunt for IPS kids some years ago and hung it down the well. Luckily for me, it did not fall. Like you, I gained my info from DS.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that senior...
    The revolver had been found long before I arrived in 1980. :-)
    Maybe Ormond Fannon might know more about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have already emailed Ormond about it, am waiting for reply :)

      Delete
  3. This revolver was an object of speculation for Y5 students (among them my daughter) studying "the Victorians" in the early 1990s. They were invited to write a story about how it got into the well. I still have Sarah's story at home; as I remember, though not true, it was an imaginative account in tune with the context of the find as explained to them at the time. Andy Bull thought it dated from the Napoleonic era when soldiers were stationed nearby on the third line of the Torres Vedras fortifications.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fabulous! Could I ask you to take a picture and send it to us? I think everyone will love to see that story! If you can, my email is mparreira@stjulians.com. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Here is Ormond's feedback on the revolver's story:

    "I’m not sure, but I believe the gun was found in the early years of Andy Bull’s Headship when Colonel Telles Pereira (who was the school administrator) was looking to see if the well could be “reinstated” to provide water to the kitchens above (in its day it provided water to the fountain in the garden music room and the pond). The well was housed in its own room at that time, before I integrated it into the Art Dep’t. I also think Andy made an annual essay competition on “How the gun got into the Well”. With luck, you may even find some of these essays in the school library. Chris Sousa e Sá may be able to help. You might also try Sheilah Fenner-Letão who was Head of English then and might know more about it. Sorry I can’t be more helpful. I hope you’re all “well” and thriving. Sorry I missed the GCSE Art Exhibition. I heard it was excellent (as expected)."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ormond. The show was really great indeed. The students worked hard and the work was excellent!

      Delete