Click photo to watch IB Visual Arts Video

Click photo to watch IB Visual Arts Video
Paola Kossakowska. Ghosts II (Mixed media (charcoal, chalk, acrylic paint) on paper. 84.1 x 118.9 cm)

Friday 20 June 2014

Farewell to David Smith

Our Headmaster David Smith is leaving and tonight we had a farewell party in the patio of the school. There were some amazing musical moments and I was thrilled to find an old friend in the crowd, who I hadn't seen in several years. Terry Williams came all the way from Bristol to say hello and join us in the party. I met Terry in my first year at St. Julian's. I was the Art technician and early in the first term I found myself involved in the making of a large number of props for the play "His Dark Materials" directed by Darren Scully, our Head of Drama at the time.  Terry was with me most of the time, drawing and making props as well. I quickly discovered Terry's great talent to draw and capture the most genuine, often unflattering traits of all of us who lingered around him for long enough. I spent most of my time laughing with his sketches and his hilarious sense of humour.  How great to see him today!!!!
 Saying this, I am sorry to have to say goodbye to David, for me, the only headmaster in the place where I have been for the past eight years. I have enjoyed so much working under his wing. Thank you David!
 

Above are two different but equally faithful depictions of David by Terry Williams.

FABULOUS!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous indeed! When did he draw them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one on the right hew drew tonight, the other I am not sure, he sent it to us recently. But he has been sketching these for years in any occasion. Restaurant napkins included.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wonderful! Thank you for sharing them with us!
    Liz Wood

    ReplyDelete