Click photo to watch IB Visual Arts Video

Click photo to watch IB Visual Arts Video
Paola Kossakowska. Ghosts II (Mixed media (charcoal, chalk, acrylic paint) on paper. 84.1 x 118.9 cm)

Wednesday 16 July 2014

Threading the Patio

Dear followers, occasional visitors, students and colleagues,

 I have been away for a few days and am not functioning at high speed at the moment (please forgive the summer rhythm) but today I stumbled upon a few images of an Arts Festival that happened in 2008 at St. Julian's. If memory doesn't fail me, we didn't have an activities week as organised as we do now and we had a whole day arts related festival.
 I was responsible for conducting a workshop of paper and wire sculptures in the patio of the Palacio. After a few sessions I noticed we were accumulating a serious amount of interesting and delicate sculptures and I started thinking.....where am I going to hang all these??

So it came to me. We will thread the patio and hang everything on thread! Logical.
We used trees and windows to connect the cotton thread all over the patio. See below:





This was an ephemeral effort, a lot of the sculptures flew away quickly, but the effect was very good. The patio remained like this for a couple of days, covered by a giant spider's web. The cotton was slightly elastic and gave in slowly. The hight of the lines dropped until everybody had to zigzag above and below lines and knots. Very amusing....even if probably not the best idea in terms of health and safety!!!!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment